Saturday, November 16, 2013

Portfolio Update #3

Hello readers!

This post does not cover my digital portfolio, instead I am going to show you the progress I have made with the Diwali Display for my senior art portfolio.

I have completed the center tray along with the sweets (mithai) that are going to be placed in it. The center tray is made of clay and colored with acrylic paint and finished off using Mod Podge as a sealer. The sweets are all made from felt fabric with assorted beads used as decoration. I looked up the different types of mithai that is made in India and tried to match some of them while some are actually chocolate and candy versions found in the West. I took some pictures of the tray and the sweets but not what the table looks like so far...that picture is going to uploaded later when I am able to put the flowers and tray on the actual table.
This is the tray with the Mod Podge still on it.
The actual design of the tray with the Mod Podge dried.
The bottom of the tray and the designs at the top were done using Folkart Acrylic Paint: metallic gold
The tray with the sweets on it.
Close up of the sweets...
Also I have completed all of the felt flowers that are going to be used on the table. I have already put together a garland of flowers that is going to be glued down at the top of the table. I have completed enough flowers to make 6 U shaped garlands to be hung down from the table top. I have to wait until I am able to buy a cloth that matches the tabletop color, then would I be able to put the hanging garlands up.
The main flowers are seen at the top and very bottom of this pile. The flat flowers in the middle are to be used only to fill up the empty space in between the main flowers and to make the arrangement look a bit random.
The main flowers that are going to be used are made to look/represent marigolds. Which a very popular flower in India. Used on every occasion possible, from parties to weddings to festivals, this flower is somewhat a symbol in my eyes that represents the festive mood in India (hence the reason why it is my favorite).
A close-up of the flat flowers.
Design for the Diwali candles made from felt fabric.
Now moving on, as the above picture indicates, I wanted to briefly describe another element of the Diwali Display. This element is the candles, or Diwali diva (also spelled as diya), that are going to be placed on the table. I am going to use electric candles (tea lights) instead of real fire...for safety purposes of course. This also allows me to create the candles from something else other than clay or flour. I created a sample to to see if the cutout template I created could even remotely represent the shape of a traditional diva. I have decided on a template, the one used in the candle above and below, and also on colors (not shown in any images here). Once all 9 candles are complete I am going to upload the images here for you to see. I am still going to use beads but the colors might be different seeing as my main colors have changed.

I look forward posting more updates on this display as I get complete more elements. This is it for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment